Thursday, February 19, 2015

#youredustory, Week 7

Y on Wymount by arbyreed from flickr

Prompt: "People don't buy WHAT you do, they buy WHY you do it" Simon Sinek - Why do you do what you do?

This might sound a bit grandiose. If so, sorry - that isn't my intent. It is, however, what I believe. It isn't a belief that I push on others; it is something I try to hold myself to.

I believe that people are put on earth to maximize the amount of good that they can do for our world. It isn't a religious thing - I'm not religious - but more just a strong belief in social justice. We are here - I believe - to try to maximize our positive impact on the world.

I think it especially important for me to do this. If you wanted to paint a picture of privilege on this earth, you could paint a picture of me. Gender, race, perceived religious affiliation, sexual orientation, physical ability: the only thing I'm not is rich. If I, at the height of privilege, am not going to work to make our world a better place, who can be expected to do that?

Given that privilege, the belief that I need to maximize the positive impact I can make on the world, and my skillset, I need to be involved in education.

That's WHY I do what I do.

Yes, I love working with kids. I love building relationships. I love seeing light bulbs come on. I love watching kids grow up over the two years I get to teach them. I love getting to talk to old students who are out doing great things in the world. I love the challenge of trying to have the best classroom that I can. I love the edufriends who make me think about why I do what I do.

Really, though, I teach because I believe it is maximizing the positive impact that I can have on the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment