Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Homework?

"No Homework" from Flickr by SA_Community
Thanks to some thought-provoking blog posts I read this summer, I have coupled my move to a full self-paced, mastery-based flipped classroom with a desire to eliminate homework for my ninth grade world history class. I thoroughly thought through my rationale and got administrative backing for my no-homework (well, very little homework) class. Parents were enthusiastically supportive when I explained that I believed it was my job to carve out the less meaningful parts of my curriculum to make room to do the critical thinking that is so much a part of history class in the classroom and not at home in the form of homework.

The first six weeks went well - students had two small homework assignments that they needed to complete in the first week of school, and most got these done in a relatively timely manner. I did a small simulation Friday that necessitated a reflective piece for all classes. Unfortunately, this needed to be done at home - reflecting in class on Monday would have been, in my opinion, less useful than reflecting more immediately. (Yes, I’m aware that some students may have done the homework on Sunday night, making this argument somewhat less relevant.)

I was intrigued to come to school today: how many of my students would do the homework over the weekend? I had heard from other teachers that my freshmen hadn’t shown a great motivation to complete work outside of class, but I had asked for very little out of class work from them. Well, I got my answer: 58% of my students did their 10-15 minute reflection over the weekend.

This was the only homework I had asked my students to do over the last month. Looking back, I should have tried harder to fit in the simulation earlier in the week and allow my students time in class to process what had happened in the simulation. I still stand by my no regular homework stance: if my students use their class time well, I don’t anticipate my students doing out of class work until late October. And I think that is how it should be.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Karl. I myself am struggling with the homework question. I only have hour long periods and need students to watch videos or read articles outside of class. However I have discovered many do not do the readings and those who do have difficulty comprehending them. Any advice on how to lessen homework, increase comprehension and make the best use of minimal class time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kevin. I have cut out a lot of information I have deemed extraneous to my units. Based on essential and unit questions, I am just going to skip content the state of California says I am supposed to teach. It's actually a liberating feeling! This material I am deeming extraneous is being replaced with a focus on current events that are topical to whatever unit we are working on, so I feel fine about it. I guess that's my advice - chop content. I'm going for depth and critical thinking (and hopefully some engagement) not breadth. I'll let you know how it goes!

      -Karl

      Delete
  2. What was the method for reflection? Traditional paper & pen? Or Google form?

    What if students could have done a voice recording or a video diary recording? Do you think that would have increased the number of those who completed the reflection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate-

      It was a paper and pen reflection. I guess ultimately I should have made it free--form - reflect on these questions, get your thoughts to me in any manner you see fit. I guess, though, the low number for homework completion on this assignment just showed me the importance of students doing their thinking in class: then they have time to swim/dance/play soccer/football/BE KIDS and they also do the reflecting I want them to do.

      -Karl

      Delete